Home - Game Servers - Webhosting - Dedicated Servers - Voice Servers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pc Issues

GFX card is overheating or is on its way out when you start getting artifacts on the screen how old is the card ? and is it overclocked ?

Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War

Plato

You might want to start looking for a new GPU, as soon as possible.

there are many simple repairable fixes for gfx artifacts like this

1) install latest drivers (rule out any power saving settings)
    2) change the gfx power molex/lead
    3) power down the pc, remove the card, remove the protective chassis and check and clean the GPU fan (replace if neccesary)
    4) remove the heatsink check/replace the GPU/mem/chipset thermal pads
    4a) try putting this card in a different PC and see if it has the same issues or try borrowing someones GFX card and put it in your pc and see if it suffers the same effects
    5) and you do this at your own risk as a last resort incase your gfx is suffering from dried joints: remove all the chassis covers from the gfx card the fan / heatsinks and anything else that can be unscrewed and removed that will not survive a trip to an oven

set your over to 200 degrees get a baking tray and make 4 small balls of aluminium foil rest the gfx card face down on the tray with an aluminium ball in each corner holding it up from the tray (making sure the gpu/and transisters are all on the underside with the soldor facing upwards) leave to bake for 10 minutes maximum then reassemble (***DISCLAIMER - this can sometimes repair dry joints enough to get the card working again WARNING this can also kill a card permanently***)

if all else fails buy a new GFX card
    Last edited by Carnage; 22-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Support Staff
    GamingDeluxe Ltd

chat live via irc http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=gamingdeluxe

BF3 Admin

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackaL View Post
    GFX card is overheating or is on its way out when you start getting artifacts on the screen how old is the card ? and is it overclocked ?
    Geforce GTX 560 TI. Im not overclocking on suppose Jan - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Saxton Hale View Post
    You might want to start looking for a new GPU, as soon as possible.
    If I leave it as it is, will it damage the rest of the PC? or will the GPU all of a sudden just stop working all togeather

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    there are many simple repairable fixes for gfx artifacts like this

1) install latest drivers (rule out any power saving settings)
    2) change the gfx power molex/lead
    3) power down the pc, remove the card, remove the protective chassis and check and clean the GPU fan (replace if neccesary)
    4) remove the heatsink check/replace the GPU/mem/chipset thermal pads
    4a) try putting this card in a different PC and see if it has the same issues or try borrowing someones GFX card and put it in your pc and see if it suffers the same effects
    5) and you do this at your own risk as a last resort incase your gfx is suffering from dried joints: remove all the chassis covers from the gfx card the fan / heatsinks and anything else that can be unscrewed and removed that will not survive a trip to an oven

set your over to 200 degrees get a baking tray and make 4 small balls of aluminium foil rest the gfx card face down on the tray with an aluminium ball in each corner holding it up from the tray (making sure the gpu/and transisters are all on the underside with the soldor facing upwards) leave to bake for 10 minutes maximum then reassemble (***DISCLAIMER - this can sometimes repair dry joints enough to get the card working again WARNING this can also kill a card permanently***)

if all else fails buy a new GFX card
    I recently updated my drivers from the Nvidia site to get fix a problem I was getting when watching videos online, this has since been fixed but this error has taken its place.

Quote Originally Posted by homer7295 View Post
    pweetty colours!!!!! simple fix... dont have ur comp on for so long!!
    i jest, erm i personally think you should, when it happens, turn it off completley for a few mins, then power it back up.
    Thats what I have been doing its all I can do. De-power it via the plug/power button and re-boot in a few minutes.
    Last edited by Bulletproofmonk; 22-04-2012 at 05:24 PM.

BF3 Admin

Well an update on whats going on, basically I sent the graphics card back to Scan as it was still under warranty, they checked it and told me it was "ok" and that they couldn't find the same fault I had so its currently on the way back to me minus 30 for checking and mailing it back to me =.=

I did manage to replicate the fault myself or at least something was that near to the problem and that was to use a program called "MSI aferburner" which is an overclocking and monitoring tool for graphics cards and when I increased the Core Clock Mhz speed to maybe double the decent speed the card would break down and pretty much do exactly what the screen shot shows.

well it looks like some sort of memory corruption, if youd have done a memtest when i told you too, youd probably have found the solution before starting to blame your gfx card.

but if youve ran a memtest on your system ram, then id be blaming the GFX texture memory and scan owe you money

do yourself a favour Bullet, if youre confidant your PSU is working correctly

boot the system with your windows 7 dvd, and perform a system memory check
    secondly, power down the system and make TRIPLE sure, your heatsink is properly sat in the socket on the cpu as there are lots of issues with on die memory controllers overheating cos of this
    thirdly if you trust scan, and have confirmed the gfx is ok by putting it in a mates system

DO A FULL CLEAN INSTALL of windows, good luck m8.
    Last edited by Carnage; 05-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Support Staff
    GamingDeluxe Ltd

BF3 Admin

Like you said earlier Carnage, upgrading windows was a bad idea and I found it yet again be the reason my pcs only showing me having 8gbs of ram when I have 12, So Ive ordered a new copy of win 7 and will try all this after a fresh install on my new SSD

Ok so its happened again since putting it back into the machine. So this time Ive done some more things, Ive put the card into a different slot and Ive got this.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4632/psutest.png
    Last edited by Bulletproofmonk; 05-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.

erm your 12volt rail isnt polling correctly, use hwmonitor its far more accurate or the bios ;)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html

download = ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/hwmonitor-pro/hw...3-setup-en.exe
    Last edited by Carnage; 06-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Support Staff
    GamingDeluxe Ltd

BF3 Admin

no, your +12v rail looks broken, grab the normal release "non trial" did you greb the free pro trial?
    something doesnt look right there with your psu

boot into your bios and tell me what the voltages are in there

do this Bullet

power down

1) reseat the main 24pin PSU plug into the mobo
    2) reseat the 4/8 pin psu plug into the mobo
    3)check all your molex/power leads are connected firmly
    4)go into your bios on boot f2/del and goto hardware "status" section (make a note of ALL voltages)
    5)install a fresh full win7 install
    6)report back
    Last edited by Carnage; 07-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Support Staff
    GamingDeluxe Ltd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information